Happy New Year! I figured that I would make this post an annual feature, reflecting on the past year and the things that have happened in my life.
First, I want to take a look at the resolutions that I sent for myself last year!
- Become healthier – I can say that I have improved my eating habits compared to my first year of university, although I need to cut down on the sugar in my diet.
- Improve my Youtube – My goal was to reach 10,000 subscribers on youtube! In April, my channel suddenly started receiving a huge jump in viewers. I am currently at 18,000 subscribers, it’s insane! I can’t believe it, and I’m so thankful for the support that I’ve gotten.
- Find a summer job – First I got a job at a really crap dress store, quit after about two weeks because I was being treated poorly and the management was very disorganized. Found a great summer job at Levis where I met some great co-workers! They even invited me back for winter seasonal work, and the summer of 2013!
- Stop looking like a homeless person. – LOL yeah I can safely say I put more effort into my looks! I’m glad I don’t look as much of a bum as last year.
- Work on photography skills – Have taken lots of lovely photos of cosplay, food blogging, and events in general. Hopefully I will continue to improve these skills in 2013!
- Travel – Had my first road trip without parents when Moetron and I attended Otakon 2012, which took place in Baltimore, Maryland. A few months later, we attended Youmacon 2012 in Detroit, Michigan!
- BE HAPPY~! I am definitely happier than last year. As I stated in my previous post, I went through a mini period of depression where I just felt really tired and sad all the time, and didn’t want to socialize or go out and do things. I’ve made some great friends and had some great opportunities.
When rereading old blog entries in October, I had come to the realization that I have completed every one of my new year’s resolutions! I’m so happy 😀 I normally don’t track my resolutions (or at least, forget about them a few months into the year,) so it was great to be able to reflect on my accomplishments.
Now, a few notable points from 2012!
- Finished my first year of university.
- Sorted out rent and housing for the 2012-2013 school year without the help of my parents. Now living with 3 of my good friends!
- Uploaded a makeup tutorial that went viral, currently has over one million views. Youtube channel subscriber count grew from just under 4.5k subscribers to over 18k! Also slowly getting into the habit of uploading regularly.
- Got a steady summer job at a great store with such nice coworkers. Earned a good amount of money that is being put towards my academic exchange.
- Attended my first and second American convention! Met so many nice cosplayers and photographers, and networked with so many other creative individuals! Made and wore my dream cosplay (Emmy Altava from Professor Layton series.)
- In addition, cosplays were featured on Kotaku (Hilda from Pokemon) and twice on the front page of reddit (red/blu scouts from TF2 with Ringo!)
- Turned 19!
- Started second year of university. Actually joined clubs and made friends instead of being a shut-in. Overloaded on courses first semester, taking six credits instead of five, and a managed to get pretty good marks.
- GO ON ACADEMIC EXCHANGE TO THE UNITED KINGDOM: I can’t say that I’ve ever wanted anything more in my entire life. I am so tired of living in Canada, in this drab city where my university is. I don’t feel alive here. I want to travel and explore, I want to feel culture shock, I want to get away and experience new things. If things work out, I’ll be there from September 2013 – June 2014!
- In addition, improve marks for exchange! You need a certain average in order to be eligible, and I would say that I’m currently borderlining on this required average… My school schedule for 2013 works out that I have one fifty-minute class on Wednesday morning, and nothing on Thursday. I should be planning my time out accordingly and using it to study and do my readings more thoroughly.
- Upload content more regularly to my youtube account, and grow my subscriber base! After seeing the sudden jump in subscribers and people watching my content, I feel more motivated than ever to make videos that people want to watch. Right now, I’m going to try doing a video once a week. I think that is a realistic goal. Definitely more if I am able to go on exchange! I can do more videos relating to my experience abroad!
- Have a healthier diet, exercise more regularly. – I think this is pretty self explanatory hahaha!
- Cut back on unnecessary purchases, save money! – Exchange ain’t going to be cheap, gotta save up!
- Draw and design more! I’ve been working on some drawings on photoshop and illustrator. I think working on some independent design projects will not only improve my skills, but help me build a little portfolio of works for my multimedia courses.
- Be happy. – I know I know, so many people put this on their resolutions list. But it’s true. I want to be happy, and enjoy life! :]