If I had to describe 2016 in a few words, they would be….
- Extremely mediocre.
Overall, this was not a great year for me. So ironic because 2015 was one of my most memorable years (which you can read in my 2015 Year in Instax post), and all of those memories and accomplishments came down to a crashing halt about a quarter into 2016. I’m looking forward to 2017 and the fresh start it will bring!
Last year’s resolutions and how I fared:
- Continue with Youtube. I managed to surpass my goal of reaching 75k followers (right now at 77k.) However, I took a 4 month hiatus and stopped producing videos at the end of summer (when my postgrad program started up.)
- Continue blogging. I started blogging more, and managed to secure a few blog sponsorships and was invited to more press launches!
- Budget more wisely. This is probably one of the goals I am most proud of. I managed to save all of my receipts and keep track of my income and expenses. This way I have maintained more control over my spending habits, and how to do some bookkeeping to make filing taxes easier in the new year.
- Complete BBG, and continue with it. Completely failed on this one. Stopped at the end of January because I’m a lazy ass. Started to incorporate more fitness into my life towards to end of the fall as a way to cope with anxiety.
- Move out. Rented a place with two friends near my school. Living with two other people is okay but I realize more than ever how much I want my own place 🙁
- Improve eating habits. Cut down on pop consumption and reduced the amount of meat I eat. Summer was especially hard because I lived in an area that had Starbucks, McD’s, Tims, Harveys, DQ, Subway etc… literally across the road. I could see the golden arches from my window. May or may not have put on a few pounds… However my diet was back on track come fall and I lost all the weight I had gained.
- Networked with local brands and PR firms in order to secure blogging and social media sponsorships. This definitely helped me improve my freelance blogging career. I gained experience pitching to brands, attending press launches and media events, and made new local blogging friends!
- Attended Anime Expo for the fourth year in a row and had one of the best trips ever. You can read about my adventures here! I saw new sites, made new friends, participated on a panel, vlogged, ate good food…. LA adventures always makes it into the top highlights of my year.
- Saw two of my favourite producers. Mystery Skulls guestlisted my friends and I at his AX afterparty show in LA, I wanted to cry cuz I was so happy. I’ve been following him since his early EP days and he’s grown so much! I also got to meet Slushii at the Flosstradamus Hi Def Youth show – we got to hang out back stage and it was such a blast.
- Halved my wardrobe and donated things that were sitting around. I adopted the KonMari method of organizing clothes and it really has improved my mindset! Less clutter = less stress!
- Started my postgrad program, studying Public Relations and Corporate Communications. I’m learning more in this one year program than I did in my four years of undergrad! I have gained so much experience with writing for PR, research, law and ethics, and career management. I’ll do a more indepth post once I am closer to finishing my cerfiticate.
- Experienced anxiety and panic attacks, which were ongoing and lasted for about 2.5 months. I think I burned out hardcore. I did a full explanation post of my symptoms, experience, and coping strategies in this blog post. Tldr; I had panic attacks, went to emergency, numerous cardiologist appointments, and managed to get my episodes under control after about two months.
- Family members involved in car crash. In November, my mom and grandma were involved in a car crash, which left my grandma with really bad whiplast. Airbags were deployed and our car was totalled. My 85 yr old grandma had bad back pain and could not walk – after a month, she is only beginning to stand again with help from a physiotherapist but has to be tended to by my mom at all times. My dad was on a 3-month long trip, which meant that I had a lot of pressure to pick up on errands and responsibilities around the house.
- Major wisdom teeth pain. Over the summer, my upper wisdom teeth were hurting me so badly that I couldn’t open my mouth. To top it off, my cheek somehow got infected too! These pains affected during my AX trip because I couldn’t eat and had constant headaches. I don’t have dental insurance either, so the procedure cost me a pretty penny.
- Politics. Even though we’re in Canada, the US election caused me to see some very ugly sides to people I thought supported similar beliefs to me.
- And some things I don’t want to mention. Very personal things that I won’t share online.
- Produce consistent content on Youtube and Blog. I am looking forward to getting back into Youtube. With school/moving/ so many other things going on, I was overwhelmed and life took priority. Now that everything is settled, I’m ready to get back into things.
- Produce more casual lifestyle videos/ blogs. Part of my hesitation in returning back to youtube was because mosto f my content is cosplay/anime oriented. I simply did not have as much time or money to put towards that this year than I did in the past. I want to add more of a lifestyle element to my blog and relieve the pressure of being anime focused all the time.
- I am also launching my ASMR channel, which I am really looking forward to because it will not require much editing! Just lengthy rambling/trigger videos.
- LAUNCH DORADO!! Can’t wait to see where DORADO takes us over the next year 🙂
- Maintaing budgets and save more. I want to get my own place, so I’m really going to put more emphasis on saving up money. I’m hoping to find a full time job following my postgrad, so hopefully that’ll help.
- Place more emphasis on maintaining my mental health. I suffered from panic attacks and anxiety in the fall which was one of the scariest experiences I have ever felt. I did a full explanation which you can read about here. I need to focus on ‘me-time’ and maintaining a positive headspace. I’m going on vacation in February so hopefully that’ll help ease my mind.
- Go to the gym. Hey Sachie get off your ass and get moving! Hoping to do bi-weekly update posts on routines, progress etc. Especially since I’m heading to sunny beaches in February and want to show off a nice beach bum!
Anyway, I’m 100% over 2016. Bring on 2017! 🙂